Some of the issues that have to be considered in determining the correct fall protection systems are listed…more.
- Weather – will the vehicle have to be accessed in all kinds of weather – high wind, snow, ice, rain, etc. ?
- Time of Day – will the site be supervised late at night? Especially important with harnesses and lanyards – Is there adequate lighting for night work?
- Frequency of Use – High frequency of use could dictate different types of equipment. A spot used infrequently could even use a portable system.
- Cycle Time – How fast does it have to operate?
- The Material Being Loading & Unloading – Is it hazardous? Is it flammable? If spilled, will it made the surface slippery – especially if wet?
- Number of People Present – What is the load capacity? Will several people operate the equipment?
- Operator vs. Driver Operating the equipment – The driver will not be trained. How easy is the equipment to operate?
- Variety of Configurations
- In the rack
- In the truck – ladder, walkways, crash boxes, hatch location, vents, etc.
- In the railcar – platform size, handrail opening, location
- Cost – What is the total cost of installation maintenance equipment?